I am setting up an Active Directory test network with VirtualBox. It will consist of the following components. Links are provided showing configuration information I referenced.
- VirtualBox networking
- Debian server with Samba 4 Active Directory Domain Controller
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop Member Server
- Windows 10 Desktop
- Future? – ReactOS which is a potential open-source drop-in replacement for Windows 2003. Will try this if they ever enable domain joins.
Use these Network settings for all machines:
- Adapter 1: Enabled
- Attached to: NAT Network
- Name: NatNetwork (10.0.2.0/24 – DHCP & IPv6 disabled)
- Adapter 2: Enabled
- Attached to: Host-only Adapter
- Name: VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter (192.168.56.0/24)
- DHCP Server: Enabled
- DHCP Lower Address Bound: 192.168.56.101